First Week of School
This week we started school! We all go to A'Takamul International School which is about a 20 minute drive from where we live. I'm a senior this year, Adam is in 6th grade and Sydney is in 4th grade!
`
At this school, from 5th grade up, is gender segregated. So Adam and I both go to school with only our gender, which is very interesting. School in general works a lot differently here than it did in Singapore or in the States. For the most part, the teachers move classrooms instead of the students. Of course, there are some classes that we have to leave for such as Art or Computer classes, but we mostly stay with our class all day.
I am the only senior girl who doesn't speak Arabic. It is really interesting not understanding what anyone is talking about sometimes (most times). A few of my classes are taught in Arabic (Arabic and Islam), and I have no idea what they are saying until they translate it in English for me. When we are not in class, everyone speaks in Arabic to each other, that is unless they are speaking to me. It used to frustrate me, but now it is really intriguing for me to just listen to words that mean nothing to me but that everyone else can understand.
Adam is definitely one of the few 6th grade boys who doesn't speak Arabic and it doesn't bother him. He just goes with the flow and is really chill about everything 😂
Like I said before, we do all take AFL (Arabic as a Foreign Language) and IFL (Islam for Foreign Learners). We are not converting to Islam; we just think of it more as a Islamic History class. There is no harm in learning about other people's religion so why not just try it?!
We don't have a cafeteria here and therefore, no designated "lunch time", but we do all have some breaks that we eat at, and they do have a place that you can buy food so we do eat, but it happens to be at 9:00/10:00 in the morning.
We are back to wearing uniforms and absolutely loving it. We never have to wonder what we are going to wear because it is the same thing every day. Definitely 4 BIG uniform fans over here!
We are also a minority here. There are very, very few Americans in this school, especially in higher grades. In my case, I am the only blonde in High School. It doesn't bother any of us; it's just how it is!
It definitely has taken a bit of adjusting for all of us to how school works here, and it has been a little frustrating for my Type-A personality. I like to be in-charge and organized, and I've had to 'go with the flow' a little more lately than what I'm comfortable with, but it has been good. We have all also been so lucky with AMAZING teachers who are watching out for us and are all super helpful, patient and kind.
If you want to know more about school here, you can message me or comment on this post! I didn't know exactly what to include here so I probably am leaving lots out 😂
`
At this school, from 5th grade up, is gender segregated. So Adam and I both go to school with only our gender, which is very interesting. School in general works a lot differently here than it did in Singapore or in the States. For the most part, the teachers move classrooms instead of the students. Of course, there are some classes that we have to leave for such as Art or Computer classes, but we mostly stay with our class all day.
I am the only senior girl who doesn't speak Arabic. It is really interesting not understanding what anyone is talking about sometimes (most times). A few of my classes are taught in Arabic (Arabic and Islam), and I have no idea what they are saying until they translate it in English for me. When we are not in class, everyone speaks in Arabic to each other, that is unless they are speaking to me. It used to frustrate me, but now it is really intriguing for me to just listen to words that mean nothing to me but that everyone else can understand.
Adam is definitely one of the few 6th grade boys who doesn't speak Arabic and it doesn't bother him. He just goes with the flow and is really chill about everything 😂
Like I said before, we do all take AFL (Arabic as a Foreign Language) and IFL (Islam for Foreign Learners). We are not converting to Islam; we just think of it more as a Islamic History class. There is no harm in learning about other people's religion so why not just try it?!
We don't have a cafeteria here and therefore, no designated "lunch time", but we do all have some breaks that we eat at, and they do have a place that you can buy food so we do eat, but it happens to be at 9:00/10:00 in the morning.
We are back to wearing uniforms and absolutely loving it. We never have to wonder what we are going to wear because it is the same thing every day. Definitely 4 BIG uniform fans over here!
We are also a minority here. There are very, very few Americans in this school, especially in higher grades. In my case, I am the only blonde in High School. It doesn't bother any of us; it's just how it is!
It definitely has taken a bit of adjusting for all of us to how school works here, and it has been a little frustrating for my Type-A personality. I like to be in-charge and organized, and I've had to 'go with the flow' a little more lately than what I'm comfortable with, but it has been good. We have all also been so lucky with AMAZING teachers who are watching out for us and are all super helpful, patient and kind.
If you want to know more about school here, you can message me or comment on this post! I didn't know exactly what to include here so I probably am leaving lots out 😂

hi hope u failed this year hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha
ReplyDelete